Deadline: 15 December 2020
From 1 March 2021, the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is looking for an Editorial Assistant (0.8 fte).
Key responsibilitiesThe editorial assistant will support the editor of the (IIAS) Newsletter and assist the editor of the (IIAS) review website: newbooks.asia. The Newsletter is published three times per year and contains some 56 pages with articles on recent global developments in the field of Asian Studies. The global readership of The Newsletter, both the hardcopy and the online version, is around 50,000. The review website, newbooks.asia, collects new titles in the field of Asian Studies and organises their review. The reviews are published online and some are included in the Review section of the Newsletter.
The Editorial Assistant will:
- Attract contributions to The Newsletter
- Assist with the editing and proof-reading of articles for The Newsletter
- Help with the planning of future Focus sections of The Newsletter
- Assist in maintaining and improving the online version of The Newsletter
- Select books for reviewing for the newbooks.asia site
- Contact possible reviewers
- Maintain and extend contacts with publishers
- Edit reviews and assist with (online) publication
- Post Newsletter/newbooks.asia related content to social media
- Academic education with an interest in the field of Asian Studies
- Experience with editing and proofreading
- Interest and experience in online modes of publishing
- Oral and written command of English and Dutch
- Well-developed writing skills in English
- Demonstrable experience in working within an international academic environment
- Working experience with automated and digital processes and quick to adapt to new software
- Communicative, good social skills, result-driven, and pro-active
The International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) is a national and global research organisation and knowledge exchange platform, based in Leiden, The Netherlands. The Institute initiates and promotes interdisciplinary and trans-sectoral programmes that engage partners in – and with – Asia, in the world. The Institute seeks to promote a contextualised understanding of Asian realities and to pioneer new approaches to the studies of Asia and the ‘Asian factor’ in a changing global environment. It does so through an array of activities in the realms of research, education, publications, dissemination, network development, institutional support, and services to the community outside academia. It seeks to contribute to a culturally and socially-informed policy-relevant knowledge on/in/with Asia.
For more information about IIAS, The Newsletter and newbook.asia, please consult:
Terms and conditions
We offer a temporary position for twelve months, with the possibility of extension, dependent on work assessment and further developments. Depending on experience, salary range from € 2.656,- to € 3.548,- gross per month (scale 8 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
IIAS and Leiden University offer an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %). Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Please send your letter of motivation and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Make sure to include the vacancy number 20-516 in the subject line, and send it no later than 15 December 2020.
This vacancy is also published on the website of Leiden University:
In the event of any difference in the text with regard to the conditions, the text on the website of the university is leading.